Our railways are plagued by delays, cancellations, constant overcrowding and hideous train conditions. Passengers are also paying more than ever but still arriving at their destination late and frustrated. It’s unacceptable. We deserve trains that run for passengers, not just the rail industry. Sign our petition to demand better rail services.
We’ve been campaigning to make train companies to improve compensation arrangements for delayed passengers. We successfully convinced the government, regulator and train companies to clean up the compensation system.
Passengers are suffering with rail services that don’t even deliver the basics. Enough is enough. We want:
– Train companies to respect passenger rights and comply with the law;
– The regulator given real teeth to hold the rail industry to account; and
– The government to swiftly bring forward reforms that put passengers first.
If you want rail services that finally deliver for their passengers, please sign our petition and share your nightmare train experiences.
Between January and April 2017, we asked people to share with us their experiences of using rail services in the UK. We received thousands of passenger stories that bring to life the problems people face every day when travelling by train.
1. Use your Consumer Rights! – on 1 October 2016 the Consumer Rights Act was extended to cover train travel. If your journey hasn’t been delivered with reasonable care and skill you may be able to claim compensation. To help you navigate this process, you can use our free tool to explore a potential claim.
2. Check if you can claim under Delay/Repay – for companies signed up to the Delay/Repay scheme there will be details on how to claim for delayed and cancelled trains on their website.
3. Contact the train company – write to their customer services department, give details of your journey and include your tickets (keep a copy of these).
4. Take your complaint further – for journeys outside London, or if your complaint is about the National Rail Enquiries Service, contact Transport Focus. For journeys within London and surrounding areas, contact London TravelWatch.